Tuesday 14 August 2007

Impressive mixed rice salad for your summer party


Have you ever seen those mixed rice bags in the healthshops and wondered what to do with it?
I made a version of a popular wild rice salad from the Candle Cafe Cookbook, with a slight variation.
On Sunday I was invited to a Sicilian themed barbeque, with all the people I went on holiday with.
A nice bunch of people reproducing the atmosphere of a "Baglio" (Sicilian courtyard) in a lovely garden in Hackney.
The pressure was on as my Italian friends are quite good when it comes to traditional, so there was caponata, peperonata and insalata pantesca (a great potato salad with capers and cherry tomatoes). I decided to go for something with a citrusy flavour but just not as classic (I am not very good with with traditional recipes, and I wish I was!)
So from the Candle Cafe' cookbook, but with a twist:
Impressive Mixed Rice salad

1 cup mixed wild rice (long,camargue, wild)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (roasted in a dry skillet)
1/2 cup cranberries rehidrated in warm water
the grated zest of 1 organic orange
the juice of two organic lemons
1/4 cup of shoyu or tamari

Not very difficult... cook the rice in 2 parts of water (my variety needed 40 minutes) and add the other ingredients, voila'! (Unfortunately not very macro either!)

3 comments:

Jen said...

Hi! I just found your blog through Kati's Veggie Voice. These recipes look great! I'm hoping to eat more sea vegetables, and this'll be a great place to start :-) Enjoy your new flat!

roberta said...

too kind, I hope to get a bit more excercise I only cycle at the moment, so you are a bit of an inspiration too!

Anonymous said...

i love rice. i love salad. there's no way i'm missing out on enjoying this dish! thank you for sharing!