Sunday 6 January 2008

Bad habits?

So what are our papers greeting us with in the New Year?
Apparently too much salt, saturated fat and added sugar and not enough fruit, vegetables, whole-grains or oily fish lead to a premature death yawn. What a novelty…

But the news I am afraid is a bit more upsetting that this, apparently the borough of London that will suffer the most will be
Tower Hamlets, Southwark and City and Hackney, as they are the “poor” boroughs. Not just they will be victim of their obesity but also of their smoking habits.
I am furious. I have been living in Shoreditch which isn’t exactly “a poor part” of tower hamlet, but still I did not have a supermarket or a market nearby.I tried to buy some breakfast cereal at the corner shop and it was impossible. Food for “poor people” is full of sugar preservatives colourings etc..

I chose macrobiotic like many people to embrace a more natural lifestyle a simpler way of living and as a more suistainable one. Soaking some dried beans (which I always prefer to tofu or tempeh) eating only seasonal and local seems reasonable and healthy. Reading this article it just feel painfully middle class.

10 comments:

Eva Nataraja said...

Ciao Roberta,bentornata,non sempre ti lascio un commento quando ti vengo a trovare, anche perchè non sempre riesco a leggere tutto quello che scrivi in inglese!cmq ti auguro un buon anno!. . I wish you a happy new year! a big hug!
spero di aver scritto bene, altrimenti ci faccio una doppia figura!!
ciaoo eva

roberta said...

Nataraja,
Grazie mille auguroni anche a te e alla tua pasta madre che sembra davvero piena di vita dalle foto

X
R

Monika K said...

It sounds like you have great habits to me! I think it's funny that so many people argue about how to define "healthy eating habits" but no one will defend fast food restaurants or smoking.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog accidentally today. It is surprising there is a person who are doing microbiotics in London! I am Japanese female, studying English In London.
I am doing microbiotic. You use Japanese food nicely.Your photo makes me hungry.I am looking forward to seeing your blog! Thank you.

roberta said...

Monika, in london is funny what people think are "healthier options" I guess it's hard enough to live in such a big city to have to worry about food for some people...

Chiaki, please email me and we could meet for a cup of tea and a chat. I am a supernewbie of macrobiotic and I would like to study more, planning to do some studying in the UK, thanks for the compliments!

Mattisulweb said...

Complimenti per il blog!

Buon anno (anche se in ritardo)

Un saluto dall'Italia

Franz
www.mattisulweb.altervista.org

Anonymous said...

Thank you for replying. Yeah we could meet one day. I've been a vegan for a few yeays.(not strict though..) I've just started to do microbiotec recently. I'd like to study and enjoy it too.
I am also writing a blog so you can see it.
http://tigersushi.exblog.jp/

I write in Japanese,but you can see the photo.
My email is tigersushi1979@yahoo.co.jp
I am sorry for reading my bat English..
Thank you.

roberta said...

Ciao Matti sul web, grazie del commento!

Chiaki I will write you on your email your blog looks sooo cute!

The "pizza cinquecento" that you photographed is next to my office in Notting Hill!
Don't worry about the language... the food is talking in this case ^__^

Eva Nataraja said...

Ciao Roberta sono ancora io .....qesta volta ti ho passato un Meme!
le istruzioni le ho io!
ciaooo(*nessun obbligo)
;-D

Manuel (Ciclismo PST) said...

Tu sei single? Avrò capito male. Se è così, meglio che gli 'England boys' si comprino un paio d'occhiali!
Auguri, ciao.
Manuel.