Sunday 27 January 2008

On a sunny Saturday




The best thing about living somewhere where the weather is almost always depressing is that it comes as surprise when it isn’t. Everything seems easier when it’s sunny!
On Friday night I didn’t sleep very much I was kept awake for most of the night by teenagers that were dancing and stomping and shouting on the flat above. Mummy was probably away and they are only sixteen so I didn’t feel like arguing and just accepted that on Saturday I would have been shattered. And shattered I was when the delivery company delivered my new bed!
So it was a sunny morning and I was finally saying bye bye to my futon.
Did it get even better? Yes my lovely friends put the bed together without me having to do anything :D
So as a reward for their hard wok I put together a little lunch, something maybe too summery but the day was glorious and all I fancied was salad!

So I got inspiration from the millet tostadas from Susan Marque:

The tostadas are really easy:

1 cup millet
3 cup water
1 pinch of salt

cook the millet in the water till it has absorbed it all, pour it in a baking dish and level it so that is all even, let it cool down.
Cut in squares and fry in a little olive oil. The millet would hold together even without frying it as long as you don't dry it out too much if you slightly overcook it it becomes really unpleasant though.. it's a fine line.

I served it with:
Jerusalem artichokes: peel, slice and bake with 2 tbsp of Shoyu and ½ cup of water

Adzuki beans, soaked overnight, simply boiled with added parsley

Sliced avocados (I know tropical, bad macrobiotic rating!)

Pressed carrots:
Finely grate three carrots, add a pinch of salt and a finely sliced onion. Put a dish on top and a weight and leave for a few hours. Add cumin raisins and lemon juice.

In the beautiful daylight those colourful plates were so joyous!

4 comments:

Claud said...

Roberta, non ho ben capito come cuoci il miglio... tostadas?! Sembra spagnolo... mi spieghi?
Sento che potrei copiare... come ho fatto già!
:O)
http://trecolombeintesta.blogspot.com/

roberta said...

ciao claud, la proporzione e' 3 parti di acqua e una di miglio, l'acqa va assorbita e non scolata. Una volta che il miglio e' cotto lo metti in una pirofila e lo livelli. Poi lo puoi tagliare e magari friggere in un po' d'olio (ma puoi mangiarlo anche cosi'!

Credo che vista la presenza di fagioli ee avocado "tostadas" sia messicano

Grazie per la visita!

Claud said...

Grazie a te della risposta... che ho letto dopo aver letto della tua vacanza in Gambia: che colori!
Dove lavoro vengono spesso dei cittadini di questo paese... sempre molto cortesi, in effetti e sorridenti.
bentornata
Claudia

roberta said...

Grazie Claudia!

Ciao
R