Wednesday 12 March 2008

Apple strudel



I don't know what's wrong with me but the more busy I am socially and at work the more prolific I become in the kitchen.
I guess it is just a way to prove myself that I can have a busy schedule and still be an Eco-domestic-goddess? Being submerged with things to do at work and having to find a flatmate (this is a mild form of advertisement if you are interest please leave a comment) I still manage to make all my lunchboxes, and cook almost all my meals. Tonight I went to a restaurant on Essex road called Zigni House, it was delicious! BUT I did not want to skip cooking and made a strudel to have after the dinner... 
So, give me a  lazy Sunday with no commitment and I will probably feed myself with bread and tahini  but pack in so many things in the week, and I will have dozens of pots on the stoves and a funny blob in the oven, I guess cooking makes me so happy that it balances out all the mad stress?

Busy Busy Apple strudel
1 cup whole flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1/4 cup sunflower seeds oil
1/4 cup water
a pinch of salt
filling
3 peeled and diced small apples (I used cox)
1/2 cup raisin
1/2 cup water 
1 teaspoon kuzu
pinch of salt
3/4 cup cashew nuts
1/8 tbs Cinnamon
In a bowl mix together the flour and salt. Rub in the water and oil and make a soft dough, it does not need kneading.Make a ball and leave it to rest while you prepare the filling.
In a small saucepan put all the ingredients for the filling but not the nuts. put on a medium flame and wait till the kuzu is all dissolved and the fruit is covered in the jelly mixture. Let it cool.
Now you can roll the dough between waxed paper ( I have to admit I used tin foil but it's evil so don't do it!)
My dough was really thin (careful not to break it) and the size was like 25cmX10cm. 
You can remove the top sheet and you end up with this almost rectangular thing.
I put the mixture of fruit in the middle and cut slits on the sides and braided them (if you look at the picture you'd understand) :)
You can also spread the mixture all over the surface and simply roll it.

Bake it in a preheat oven 200C° for 30 minutes, when still hot I brush it with 1 teaspoon of rice malt mixed dissolved into 2 of water.


Adapted from Macrobiotic community cookbook by Andrea Bliss-Lerman

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The most delicious guilt free pleasure i have had in a long time..especially for breakfast. Highly recommended!Thankyou

roberta said...

Ella, you are hardly anonymous!

talisma said...

I love your blog! I come from Paris, many thanks for all the french links :)

roberta said...

talisma, thanks to you for passing by!

Meg Wolff said...

Thanks for sharing this one, looks like a keeper!