Saturday 14 April 2007

Saturday morning



I am so sick of the Italian people moaning about the quality of the fruit and veg in London. I mean it's pretty obvious that if you want to cook only your aubergine "parmigiana" and if you just buy those fluorescent greens that have been travelling around the world more that you have, well keep on complaining.
But how far do you live from your local farmers market?I have a faboulous one near me in Stoke Newington and I try to go as often as I can, it's in a litle school yard and there aren't very many stalls but you can find surprisingly good products. Britan has got a variety of greens and very few are available in the supermarkets.
Today I bought:

purple sprouting (apparently the lasts of the season)
jerusalem artichoke (a lady told me a good way to prepare them I think I will post it tomorrow)
kale
mustard frills
red mustard
wild rocket
spinaches
and some lettuce

it all worked out about 8 pounds, so try something new today! (and possibly something that doesn't come wrapped in a kilo of plastic!

Stoke Newington farmers market: http://www.btinternet.com/~grow.communities/farmers-market.htm

I made a lovely salad with some of the greens I bought with a nice dressing ;
2 tablespoon dark tahini (sesame paste)
1 tablespoon umeboshi vinegar
2 tablespoon water

just mix vigorously till smooth, add some more water if you want a thinner dressing.

No comments: